Directionally Correct

Directionally Correct is corporate-speak for something that's totally NOT right, but headed in the right direction. -- Huh.

воскресенье, июля 17, 2005

How to Be Good

I just finished this book by Nick Hornby.
I relished it all the way through, or at least after the first few chapters when I got into the rhythm of his writing and became accustomed to the British-isms.
For the first time ever, I finished a book, then turned back to the beginning and started again.
A few reasons I liked it so much:
Katie - The main character is self aware enough to know when she does stupid things, but not always in control enough to stop herself.
All the characters are enmeshed in this desire to "be good" -- seems really indicative of our human condition.
We want to be/do good. We are also totally self-centered prigs (to use the British).
There are spiritual quests happening.

I think in the past I would have read this and thought it a really good descriptive of a life without Jesus. -- It is.
It's also, it turns out, a really good descriptor of the life of a person who knows Jesus. Jesus, unfortunately, doesn't save us from being selfish and doing stupid things.

I liked the book because it put into words all the stupid things I think, and don't even know that I think. Ways that I justify my excesses and still find rational reasons that I have some elements of moral superiority. Ways that I go around trying to make myself believe that I am "good". (Or, at the very least, I am better than some others.)

Good reminder that I'm never going to be good enough.
The books has a pretty bleak finale, but I ended being very grateful for a God who knows that I am not good. -- And still loves.